Patenting can be a daunting process. We aim to give you a better understanding on a basic level of how it all works. Below is an outline of what you can expect for this part of the process.
- You will meet with an Intellectual Property Associate and Regional Associate to discuss the invention.
- An experienced external patent attorney will draft the application with your input and feedback.
- The application process includes a review of relevant patents and literature, and drafting and filing the application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- The application is examined by the USPTO. (Note: this takes 3–5 years.) The examination may include office actions, rejections, responses and amendments, wherein the patent’s claims are adjusted or argued until allowed.
- If all goes well, a patent is issued and the inventor is notified.
If you are interested in learning more about the patenting process please review the information contained on our patenting page or download our Patent Primer Brochure. If you still have questions, feel free to contact a WiSys staff member for answers.